Updated on February 19, 2019 by Asher Fergusson
Both Asher and Lyric Fergusson were fortunate to study abroad as students. In fact, they first met at their university because Asher (originally from Australia) received a scholarship to study in the USA for his undergraduate degree.
These experiences have lead to many great opportunities and they haven’t stopped traveling since.
This scholarship program aims to support current students wishing to experience new cultures and to broaden their perspectives.
Before each Fall and Spring Semester
One winner will receive:
- $1,800 scholarship for studying abroad
- Optional 1hr call with Asher for tips on studying abroad ($120 value)
And one runner-up will receive:
- $250 scholarship for studying abroad
The total value of each bi-annual scholarship is over $2000.
Who Can Apply
- Be a US citizen or permanent resident
- Be a full-time student (high school, undergraduate, or masters)
- Have GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Have already applied or been accepted into a study abroad program eligible for credit by their high school, college, or university
- Be planning to attend a study abroad program outside the US and Canada
- Submit a 400 to 500 word application essay (details below)
- Be willing to document their study abroad experience with one 1,000 word essay which will include photos (at least one selfie) and be shared on the Asher & Lyric blog
How to Apply
First, make sure you’ve read all the above eligibility requirements and full-length rules below. Once you’re convinced of your eligibility, simply fill out this Google Form ➜
- 2019 Fall Application Deadline: May 1st, 2019
- 2019 Fall Award Date: May 31st, 2019
- 2020 Spring Application Deadline: December 1st, 2019
- 2020 Spring Award Date: December 31st, 2019
Please Note: if you’re a high school student applying for a Summer study abroad program, please apply by the May 1st deadline. College students are only eligible for Spring and Fall semester abroad programs.
The winning candidate will be notified via email and published on this webpage.
Your essay needs to answer these two questions (400 to 500 words max):
- What do you hope to gain from your study abroad experience?
- How do you think this experience will improve your life and/or future career?
- One entry per student.
- Only winning applicants will receive a notification via email.
- The 2019/2020 application period starts on January 1st, 2019.
- If you fail to answer the essay questions adequately or write more than 500 words your application will be deemed ineligible.
- To be eligible you must have already applied or been accepted into a 2019/2020 study abroad program eligible for credit by your high school, college, or university.
- Once submitted, no confirmation email will be sent to the applicant. Any other requests related to the application will not guarantee a response from Asher or Lyric.
- The essay must be written in grammatically correct English.
- All essays must be 100% original. You acknowledge that your essay once submitted becomes property of Asher & Lyric and may be posted on their blog and social media accounts. Additionally, if you are the winner of the scholarship, you must be willing to document your study abroad experience with one unique 1,000-word essay which will include photos (at least one selfie), and you must be okay with it being owned by and shared on the Asher & Lyric blog.
- Asher & Lyric will personally review all applications. They will select one winner and one runner-up per semester based upon the most interesting, compelling, deserving and well-written essay submitted by the deadline. Their decision will be made by the award date and will be final.
- This scholarship award must be used solely for study abroad expenses. The winner will be responsible for any applicable taxes. The winner must also provide a completed W-9 form (per tax law) in order to receive the $1800 check in the mail.
Still have questions? Contact us ➜
Previous Award Recipients
The winning applicant will receive an email notification each semester on or before the award dates above. We will also add there name to the list below.
Spring 2019 Winner – Amanda Brea (Bates College)
February 7th Update: Amanda just sent us this picture and statement after being Florence for a few weeks – looks like she’s already having a great experience!
“My name is Amanda Brea and this semester I had the opportunity to study abroad in Florence, Italy with Syracuse University. I have only been here for a short period of time and I can already wholeheartedly admit that this experience has changed my perspective. I have been able to immerse myself into Italian culture and am finding myself seeing parallels between my identity as a Dominican-American and Florentine life.”
Spring 2019 Runner-up – Anna Feldman (Syracuse University)
February 19th Update: Here is Anna’s experience so far.
“Ciao da Firenze! It is incredible how quickly a city on the other side of the world can feel like home. Florence has been so welcoming and every day I feel extremely grateful to be here. Living with a host family has really helped develop my conversational italian and appreciation for Italian cuisine and culture. I was a little apprehensive at first about balancing my engineering coursework with all the excitement and busyness of being abroad, but everyone is here for your success and understands the importance of travel and exploration. Overall, an absolutely unforgettable experience.”
Fall 2018 Winner – Devin Cain (University of Maryland)
Devin from the University of Maryland who is studying for one semester in Madrid, Spain is the first winner of this scholarship. UPDATE: In October 2018, Devin posted this 3 min video of his experience in Spain so far. Looks like he’s having fun!
About Asher & Lyric
Asher & Lyric Fergusson are passionate travelers who have lived all over the world and especially enjoy exploring Europe and Hawaii. One of their most-loved topics to write about is detailed checklists on what to bring for an overseas trip. Here are a few links to some of their packing lists for the most popular study abroad destinations:
They also write about their personal travel experiences and often focus on sharing tips for having a safer and more enjoyable journey. Their favorite city to visit is Paris and their favorite country to visit is India. They have two young children named Kingsley and Aurora.